Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Christmas HomeTour


http://www.jenniferrizzo.com/2014/12/holiday-house-walk-2014-link-party.html
 
Linking up with Jennifer Rizzo's Holiday House Walk.  Thanks for the opportunity Jennifer!


 
Hello, friends!  Welcome to "Around the Watts House"!  I'm so glad you are able to stop by today for a tour of our home, decorated for Christmas.  Since I started decorating early, I've been itching to share so much of what I've done for a while now.  Honestly, I'm surprised at my restraint!  Some of you have found me via Joy in Our Home's "Holiday Home Tour".  I honestly can't express how excited I was when Kendra asked me to be a part of her tour.  I'm honored to be included amongst so many other talented blogger's sharing their homes this week.
 
As a new parent, I feel so lucky that I'm able to start Christmas traditions with my little family.  Experiencing my son's amazement with the season has been a blessing.  Nothing beats watching him sit next to the Christmas Tree, talking to the little birds that "live" in the tree, as if they are his best friends.  "Hello, bird!", he says, as he waves.  It's absolutely the most precious thing I've ever witnessed!  I hope you enjoy our tour!
 
We start on our front porch.  Some of you may have seen our porch lit up with lights a couple of days ago.  This is the area I told you I'd be sharing with you all in that post.  We don't sit out on this porch very often, so it gives me the opportunity to do something a bit extravagant with it each season.   


 I love walking out the door to see the word Joy.  It's such a wonderful reminder to slow down, and enjoy the season.  We used a lot of birds on the tree inside, so when I saw this little birdhouse I knew I had to have it for the porch.  It's just adorable!
 
Let's head inside.......
 
 
 
The foyer is set up with a fun red and white theme.  I used red paper doilies, and white paper snowflakes to create a fun snow storm of sorts, above the table. 


I made this wreath, along with all of the other wreaths you will see throughout the house today.  Using ornaments to decorate with was simple and fun.  I love the outcome, and hope you do too!
 
Our stairway is decorated with beautiful flocked garland, and red bows.  Bows, bows, bows, everywhere you look!  It sort of  became a theme, after we finished this area.  It's fun and cheery, and makes going up and down the stairs much more enjoyable.
 
 
On to the dining room.  We went with a lodge theme in this room.  The pops of green are refreshing in a land of red. 

 
 
 When I stumbled upon these wooden Christmas Trees at TJ Maxx last month, I pretty much wiped out their inventory.  They make the perfect forest centerpiece!
 
 
 
 I used ornaments that  I made myself, as well as some red ornaments left over from last year's tree, and scattered them amongst a garland of flocked pine cones I picked up at Home Goods.
 

These little fair isle designed pouches are from Michael's.  Aren't they wonderful?  They are perfect for holding napkins, and flatware if you choose to put them inside.  I tied little wooden ornaments I also found at Michael's, to the front of each, as a party gift for guests. 
 
Let's head into the kitchen.  I kept it simple in here, using a boxwood wreath from Trader Joe's above the microwave, as well as displaying these cute red bells I found at Ross Dress for Less.
 
 
I should have shown you the result of my first attempt at putting this together.  It was in shambles, but somehow I managed to get it to stay together, and was able to decorate it.  I can't wait to decorate one next year with Rordan.  He's going to have so much fun doing it!
 
 
 
 Having a hot chocolate station seems to be all the rage now days, so I figured I'd give it a go for our family as well.  Because I really like the look of a two tiered stand, but don't have one, I used two pieces I had sitting around, to make one for this occasion.  All the containers, except for the mug are from Michael's.  I'm pretty sure I spent less than $10 for all of them together.  The mug is from Target's cute Christmas kitchenware section.  It's so much fun to have this in the kitchen.  I wish I could have it out year round!  That might fly with the boys too, because Rordan and John seem to enjoy the fact that marshmallows are out and available all the time.  Ha ha!
 
Our next stop is the living room.  It's the coziest room with all of the pillows and blankets laying about.  It's even more wonderful at night when the lights from the tree, and garland are the only lights on.





I took a section of garland and placed it into a wooden tray.  I then sprinkled frosted gold pinecones and small ornaments amongst it.


 
 
 
 
 

 
 
Over to the fireplace.  It was the first thing I decorated for Christmas, this year.  I had planned to decorate with white and metallic only, but as you can see, that changed.  Red, red, red, bows!
 
 
When Rordan was born, John ordered each of us a little initial tags from Etsy, to hang from our stockings. It was such a nice thing for him to do!  I absolutely love them! 
 

  
Our Christmas Elf, Fezziwig, likes to hang out on the mantel during the day.  I think he likes talking to the deer. 
 
Now on to the main event; The Christmas Tree!  I promised my husband I wouldn't go crazy and buy a new tree this year.  Not that it's crazy to buy a new tree, but it wasn't in our budget, and I wanted to stick to my promise.  Boy that was a struggle for me, seeing so many beautiful new trees out there, but I did it!  I'm actually glad I didn't get another one though, because I feel like this tree has served my little family for so long, and it deserves one last hoorah, before it becomes a secondary tree. (I already have plans of where to place it next year!)

 
 
 
  I was so excited when I found this wonderful "Merry Christmas" banner at Target.  I  had to cut it so it would fit across the tree, but it's perfect this way, so I'm okay with that decision.  I used my feather ornaments, as well as quite a few salt dough ornaments, and ribbon wrapped ornaments that I made specifically for this tree to decorate with.  I also used unpainted wooden tags, and wooden snowflakes, from Michael's as ornaments.  Most of the other ornaments you see are great finds from my favorite stores, Home Goods, TJ Maxx, Marshall's, and Target.  A lot of the filler (flocked pieces, birds, pine cones, etc.) is from Michael's.  They had a sale for 50% off holiday décor, and I wasn't about to pass up that deal!
 
Looking back, though it wasn't my plan, I sure do love the outcome.  It's warm and inviting, and what I've wanted for our home for years.  Now we might end up with a new tree next year, but I can never say I'm sorry that I kept this tree this year.  Sometimes, making due with what you have, gives you the best reward.

Here she is at night.....so pretty!


I want to thank you again for taking this tour of my home.  I hope you have enjoyed it.  Again, please be sure to visit all of the other great homes on the tour.  I just know you will enjoy them!

Happy Holidays!

~Iris
 
Holiday Home Tour hosted by www.joyinourhome.com 18 Homes/5 days
 
 
 
 
 
A Holiday Home Tour at www.joyinourhome.com Come join us as 18 fabulous bloggers open their homes to you this Christmas!   
- Monday -
 
A Holiday Home Tour at www.joyinourhome.com Come join us as 18 fabulous bloggers open their homes to you this Christmas!  
  - Tuesday -
 
A Holiday Home Tour at www.joyinourhome.com Come join us as 18 fabulous bloggers open their homes to you this Christmas!  
- Wednesday -
 
A Holiday Home Tour at www.joyinourhome.com Come join us as 18 fabulous bloggers open their homes to you this Christmas!    
- Thursday -
 
A Holiday Home Tour at www.joyinourhome.com Come join us as 18 fabulous bloggers open their homes to you this Christmas!   
- Friday -
 
 

36 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful home! You have so many touches that I Love, I feel like I could just "shop" your house for hours!
    Have a wonderful Holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Karen! I appreciate you taking the time to comment. Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  2. Your home is beautiful and festive. I love your colorful front entryway…and don't even get me started on your Lodge themed dining room. So happy to be sharing the week with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, thank you so much for saying that. I had the best time decorating this year. I almost want it to be Dec. 2015 so I can get started on other ideas I have. Haha! Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  3. Your stairwell and mantel are so pretty and festive! Love all the little touches in your home, and all the bits of red and white. That gold/white deer head pillow too! See you on the hop tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Andrea! I had a lot of fun with it all. I can't wait to see your home tomorrow!

      Delete
  4. Your home is beautiful, Iris! I love your enters way table decked out... so pretty! Your stairway is beautiful... and your hot chocolate station is perfect! So glad to have you a part of this tour!! p.s those are some sweet memories you're making with your little guy!
    Kendra @ www.joyinourhome.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kendra! I owe you a huge thank you for asking me to be a part of your tour. I've met so many wonderfully talented people, including you, and I hope to get to know all of you better.

      Delete
  5. Your home is gorgeous!!! I especially love your mantel (complete with Elf On The Shelf) and your Christmas tree! Great job!
    Michelle @ The Painted Hinge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Michelle! We are having such fun with our elf. It's the first year he has visited us. My son and I wake up each morning and search for him. He loves it!

      Delete
  6. Hi Iris, what a super great Christmas Tour. I love the little narrow bench under your dining room window. I bet you found that in an antique store? I shall keep my eyes open for something like that. What is it called? I have a little stool similar to that, but the bench ROCKS!!!! All your décor is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. I follow you now! Christine from Little Brags (I was part of Mondays tour) xoxoox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine! Thank you for the wonderful comment! I love that bench too. You'll never believe it, but my husband and I got it at Kirklands years ago during a sale. I knew I wanted it right away, and the sales person wanted it gone, so she discounted it even more for us. I'm pretty sure it will forever have a home with us. I've seem similar ones at Home Goods recently, so if you have any of those stores or sister stores around you might check with them from time to time. It's pretty much like a sawhorse with shorter legs. I hope you find mine! Thank you for following. I follow you too now! I'm excited to follow along with you!

      Delete
  7. Your home is just gorgeous... I love your mantle, SO festive! I also loved the box with the snow and pipe cleaner trees in it, your hot cocoa bar and those wooden trees from TJ Maxx... what a find!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carrie! I love shopping those stores. You just never know what amazing was you are going to find!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful home Iris!! Thank you for sharing! I LOVE those wooden Christmas trees, and then little sacs at your place settings! I might have to go find some for myself now! So glad to be able to participate in this hop with you and "meet" you finally :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lindi! I'm so glad you enjoyed the tour! Those sacks were a fun find! They had just stocked them when I found them. I hope you can get some too. Michael's is having a 60% off sale, so they will be a great price. Thank you for sharing our tours on G+! I appreciate it!

      Delete
  9. Your home is just gorgeous!! I have a little one too, and it makes the holidays SO much more fun seeing her excitement about Santa and the tree!! Your dining room is SO pretty, too! So glad to be a part of this tour with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Amanda! I've never enjoyed Christmas as much as I do now. It's wonderful! We are going to see Santa tomorrow. I'm hoping it goes well. Thank you for the kind words about my home. I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  10. I love how you used the red doilies and snowflakes. So cute! I also LOVE the gold and white snowflake and reindeer pillows! I wish we had some of those wooden trees at TJ Maxx! I was just there last week and I didn't see them. They are perfect in your space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Shambray! I attempted to use real cloth doilies, but they kept falling off the wall. 😄 Those trees were around in late November. I haven't seen them since. Hopefully some will show up soon near you! Have a wonderful night!

      Delete
  11. Your house looks absolutely beautiful!! I love it all. Congrats girl, all your hard work paid off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Allison! As you know, it's a lot of fun, but hard work too. Maybe because we are perfectionist? 😃

      Delete
  12. Amazing Iris! Every room looks so cheerful! Love the pops of red though out! You have a great eye for color. I think my favorite has to be the foyer with the doilies! Genius!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Oscar! I always appreciate your opinion! Glad you likes the doilies! It was just a fun idea that popped into my mind when I passed them at Michael's.

      Delete
  13. Iris your home is beautiful! I love all of the Fair Isle touches. The red and white are so festive and cheery. I hope you and your family have a happy holiday! Hugs, CoCo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CoCo, you are the sweetest! I'm so happy you enjoyed the tour! Happy holidays to you, and yours!

      Delete
  14. Your holiday decor is GORGEOUS! Love how there is a little bit of Christmas in every room! Your front porch is so beautiful and the doilies on the wall in the foyer are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Nicole! Now that I have a little one, I want every corner or be filled with something, just to see his reaction. It's so wonderful!

      Delete
  15. I love your use of color, Iris - so festive and inviting! I love your fireplace and mantel, and your gingerbread house turned out cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! I love decorating the mantel for any occasion, so getting to do it this Christmas was so much fun! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! I appreciate it!

      Delete
  16. Your home looks so cozy this holiday season! I LOVE the "JOY" on your front porch and how you incorporated the wreath with it. Most of all, I just love all the red throughout! Happy to be a part of this tour with you, Iris :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much, Melanie! We were just looking at pictures of our get together last year, and noticed we didn't do much of anything, so getting to do this this year has been a blessing. Please keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can see why you love this post so much! It's absolutely stunning!! I think my favorite scene is your beautiful mantle, I love every single detail you put into it. Also loved the JOY sign in the exterior entryway, can't wait to see what you come up with next year. -Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  19. A house cleaning job might not be glamorous but still you get to earn big amount of money doing it. If you think of working for a cleaning company then it would be easier for you to get home cleaning jobs. House Cleaning

    ReplyDelete
  20. really nice post, appreciate your efforts.
    Thakns for sharing it and please visit officeworks bookcases

    ReplyDelete